Wednesday 19 August 2015

Interview With Bebe Love Photography

I always love receiving Erikka's images she sends to me whenever she uses any of my props as I know she will make them look perfect.

Erikka embraces using props in her work so I asked her to answer some of my prop-related questions


Do you have a favourite colour you look for when choosing props? 

I tend to go for creams and pastel colours as they just go so well with everything. I really like the "dreamy" look so I don't tend to use a lot of very bold and vivid colours.




Are there any colours you tend to avoid in your sessions?

Really strong, bold colours. I'm sure it's a personal preference, but I can't get on with red, really dark purple, orange and fuschia pink. I like my colours to stay in the background and enhance the subject - not take over them.




Do you prefer one kind of prop over another? 

I absolutely love rompers and tiny lace dresses/outfits for newborns. I don't think I'll ever get tired of them. I am currently addicted to little bear hats with tiny ears too for boys and woodland/floral type headbands or tiebacks for baby girls. 



How important to you is it that your props are one of a kind? 

Having a one of a kind prop is very important to me, I love the thought of being able to provide something special, something unique and exclusive to my clients. There are a lot of newborn props that I love - but when it starts to get too popular and almost everyone has got it, I must admit I then don't purchase it.




How many times would you use the same prop before consigning it to the back of your prop stash? 

I only use hats, newborn outfits, rompers and headbands once because I re-use other items like wraps, blankets, fabric backdrops and props so I like to have something new and different for each baby. 




How important is the price of a prop to you?

It really depends on the prop - how unique it is, how many times I could make good use of it, and how popular it would be with my clients. For items that I am only going to use once, I tend to set-up a budget and try to stick with it. But I guess I tend to look more at the quality of the item, there will always be cheaper versions but I would rather spend a little bit more money for a great quality prop than a cheaper version.





What do you look for when buying props? 

Quality and value for money. 




What has been your best bargain? 

It has got to be my vintage numbered industrial bucket that I got from another photographer who was de-stashing. Almost all my clients choose that prop and it only cost me £14




And what prop did you spend the most money on? 

My baby blue freestanding clawfoot baby bath-tub. It's an actual bath which you can plumb in so it's very heavy (and huge) so I don't get to use it a lot.




Can we see some photos of your prop storage area and studio? 



How do you decide what props you are going to use in each session?

I check with my clients if they have any prop or colour scheme request first and then plan the session and purchase more props like hats, outfits, and headbands if needs be. I'm very erratic when it comes to planning my actual set-ups though. Sometimes I do, but sometimes I wait for my clients to see what props I have available in the studio and ask them to pick their favourites. I then tend to think about the set-up while I am doing the beanbag poses or while baby is with parents during feeds. 




What age do you prefer using props on?

Newborns and Sitters. I also love using halos, crowns or a woodl/floral tieback on children when doing styled outdoor baby/child photography.

The white floor in this image is one of my backdrops


What is your absolute most favourite image in your portfolio and why? 

It changes all the time - but currently this. Because it's my first play on colours and I really love the result. (Me : yay - it's one of my tiebacks!)


Tieback by me


Which photographers influence you? Whose work do you love? 

Erin Tole, Rachel Vanoven, DNA Photography, Kelly Brown and M&K Slowinski are my top five faves - people whose work I aspire for my own to be like one day. I love the matte and dreamy look on their images. 


To see more of Erikka's work, please visit her website

No comments:

Post a Comment